The festival season is coming to an end. Good memories and muddy and dirty shoes remain. But don't panic: With these tips and tricks, your sneakers will get really clean again.
Wash shoes in the washing machine
Before you put your shoes in the washing machine, first clean them of dirt and remove anything that might come loose.
- If heavily soiled : Remove as much dirt as possible BEFORE washing. Use a soft brush or a damp cloth to do this.
- Free the shoe : Remove laces, insoles and loose parts such as appliqués
Put your shoes and laces in a laundry bag or an old pillowcase. Now for the washing.
- It is best to wash the shoes together with the bed linen : this protects the washing machine from the shoes being thrown around.
- Put a bluu laundry strip in the machine.
- Choose a gentle spin cycle.
- Set a maximum of 30 degrees and set delicates or easy-care programme .
After washing, the shoes must dry as quickly as possible, otherwise there is a risk of mold forming.
- Stuff the shoes with newspaper and put them in an airy place. The newspaper not only ensures faster drying, but also brings the shoes back into shape.
- Under no circumstances should shoes be put in the dryer or on the heater.
How to hand wash your shoes
Even when washing by hand, you should first remove heavy dirt, such as mud and dirt, from your shoes and sneakers. For example, you can use a toothbrush and a soft, damp cloth.
Wash shoes with blu
Make a mild soapy solution. This works great with the bluu wash strips! To do this, tear off a little of the washing strip and dissolve it in lukewarm water.
Dip the brush or your cloth and gently wipe the shoes clean.
Not only can open-air mud or dirt from the hike be washed off in this way - salt stains in winter also disappear in this way.
Shoes that can go in the washing machine
- Synthetic shoes, such as trainers and sneakers
- Shoes made of fabric, such as canvas or espadrilles
Shoes that don't belong in the washing machine
- Shoes with appliqués or decorations
- Leather shoes
There are of course exceptions. If you are not sure whether your shoes can be washed, go to the manufacturer's website. You can often find general care tips there.
Impregnating shoes: yes or no?
Impregnation is worthwhile: it protects from water and rain and keeps dirt from penetrating deep into the fabric.
There are special waterproofing sprays for every material and shoe color.
Wax creams are also a good (and more environmentally friendly) way to protect the shoe, especially leather shoes.
When the sneaker stinks
Especially in summer we sweat a lot and the sneakers start to smell.
You can do that about it.
With baking powder or baking soda
An efficient method is baking powder and baking soda: both bind moisture and thus absorb the unpleasant odors of the sneaker.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of baking soda or baking soda in your shoe
- Leave it on overnight, preferably 24 hours
- Suck out the powder
If you have a coffee maker at home, you can use the coffee grounds.
Let it dry well and distribute it directly in the shoe. You can also first lay out some kitchen paper and spread the sentence on it.
The strong smell of coffee masks other smells and after a few hours the stench is gone.
You can find more washing tips on our blog .