Summer is here and the baseball cap is being used more and more. The headgear gets sweaty through the summer temperatures. Can you even put your baseball cap in the washing machine? We will clarify this question and give you even more tips for caring for your cap.
Let's clear up the most pressing question first.
Can you wash your baseball cap in the washing machine?
no It shouldn't be your first choice. There is a very high risk that the hat will be damaged. The water, the movements of the drum and even the detergent can damage your cap.
If you still decide to wash in the machine, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Set gentle cycle
- Wash at a maximum of 30 degrees
- Low spin speed
- Laundry detergent without bleach: bluu is wonderfully suitable!
The baseball cap does NOT belong in the washing machine, especially in the following cases
The reinforcement is made of cardboard
It is rarely found on newer models, but it can happen that cardboard and paper are used in the peak of your baseball cap. If this is the case, you shouldn't wash it in the machine because of course that would destroy the cardboard.
If the front part is made of plastic, machine washing is more likely.
The baseball cap rubs off
Before you decide on one or the other cleaning, you should check your cap for color fastness. Thats is quite easy:
- Take a damp, white cloth or kitchen paper
- Rub it into an inconspicuous area
- If color remains on the cloth, you can assume that your baseball cap is not colourfast
Cleaning can ruin your hat, so don't do it. Further down in the article we will tell you how you can take care of them differently.
The label says hand wash
If the label doesn't recommend machine washing, then you shouldn't either. Next, we will tell you how to wash your baseball cap by hand.
How to wash the baseball cap by hand
Hand washing your cap is gentle and in most cases a better choice. Here are the individual steps on how to wash your baseball cap by hand:
- Remove stickers or removable patches .
- Dampen the dirty spots on your cap with clear water .
- At the same time, pour lukewarm water into a bowl and let a small corner of your bluu wash strips melt in the water.
- The more soiled, the more of the wash strip you tear off.
- Dip a rag or a fine brush, such as a toothbrush , in the water.
- Work on the dirty spots on your baseball cap either with the cloth or carefully with the toothbrush.
- Then rinse off the detergent again with clear water .
- Pat dry with a clean towel and let your cap air dry.
If you prefer dry cleaning, you can work on the dirty areas directly with a soft brush.
How to care for your baseball cap
The less you have to wash your cap, the less it wears out. Here are a few care tips on how to take care of it and keep it in good condition.
- Wipe the sweatband regularly : You can find this on the inside of your baseball cap. Wipe it off with a soft cloth from time to time.
- Air regularly : This is how you prevent unpleasant odours.
- Never leave it lying around damp : sweat and moisture form bacteria, which start to smell. So always hang up your cap to air it after a sweaty day.
- Staying in shape: To dry your cap, you can stretch it over a colander, bowl, or “ Cap Buddy ”. This is how your baseball cap stays in shape.
This is how you remove sweat marks
Baking soda can help remove old sweat marks.
To do this, mix the baking soda with a little water to form a toothpaste-like mass and apply it to the sweat stains. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with clear water. Let them dry well.
Wash baseball cap in the dishwasher?
Here and there on the internet you come across the tip to clean the baseball cap in the dishwasher.
But that's not really recommended either.
- Too much water!
- Too much pressure from spray arms!
- Dishwashing detergents are usually too aggressive!
It is therefore better to rely on our tips above and you will still have something of your baseball cap next summer.
You can find more tips about washing and care on our blog .